Summertime Friday Five
So, what’s up, Rev Gals and Pals? How are you spending your summer? (I know, some of you are in a different hemisphere and it may be chilly…sorry!) Are you experiencing fire or floods or tornados? Vacationing? Working harder than ever? Experiencing change? Longing for change?
Share five things that are happening in your life, personally or professionally or some of each, in this season of life.
1. Kids, kids, kids – With all three of mine out of school for the summer, we have a lot of family together time. The church has graciously allowed me to work from home one day a week during the summer, which limits the office days that the kids tag along to just 3. Anna has a part-time job this summer, so some days she is with me as a great personal assistant and other days she does her own thing. Nothing like a little (or a lot) of togetherness!
2. Beach – I do love the beach. My day off is beach day for us unless the weather prevents it. I’ve written numerous times about my love of the ocean – its sounds, its smells, its calming influence. I also love to go late in the evening just to walk. Ahhh!
3. Writing – I’m not sure what I’ve gotten myself into with this writing intensive. I have a lot of work to do between now and Sunday, when I have to submit something for peer review and critique. I’m enjoying the work of writing and being a part of this kind of group gives me both the accountability and the “excuse” to write more often. Still waiting for the project to gel, though.
4. Montreat – I think that everything is coming together for a week at Montreat very soon. While it will be a study leave for writing and planning, it will also be a week of peace and relaxation. As much as I love Charleston, I haven’t taken more than a day or two away in a very long time. It’s time for some get away. And I love the mountains almost as much as I love the beach!
5. Decisions – We’re spending a lot of time at the church this summer making decisions about fall programming, worship themes, fellowship, and mission events. It’s fun to dream in outline form, knowing that the real work will come when it’s time to fill in and implement the details. At home I’m weighing the pros and cons of staying in our current rental vs finding a new place. The market isn’t so great right now, but it sure would be nice to have work, school, and home all closer together. Researching, thinking, and praying a lot about that right now.