Friday Five: Summer Reruns
1. To Kill a Mockingbird: I love this book and the movie too. I read it first as a high school student. I read it several years running back in my teaching days. I loved introducing this book to students because even the most reluctant readers tended to like this story. I read it again when Anna did for her English class. I’ve read it at least a couple of times just for fun. May I just say this: Atticus is my hero!
2. You’ve Got Mail: Yes, the movie is now technologically and stylistically dated, but I never tire of watching it. I’m not sure what it is that attracts me so to this movie. I love almost anything Tom Hanks does. I love the spunk of Meg Ryan’s character. I love the way he woos her in the end. I love the idea of the Book Shop Around the Corner. I love the idea that even if the book shop closes, we can always write our own books. (Yes, I’m a nerd!)
3. The beach: I could go there every single day I have off from work that the weather and temps allow. Wait – I do! My favorite beach image is above.
4. Montreat: There is something magical about driving through the Montreat gate. I instinctively feel myself exhale my stress as I pass through and the next breath I take in feels like peace. I WILL go there this summer, hopefully before June is out.
5. My aunt’s caramel cake: There is nothing fancy about this cake, but it is delicious. I can’t imagine ever turning a piece down. (Not to mention her red velvet cake, or the chocolate pies my sister used to make, or my mom’s biscuits. . .)